[Rhodes22-list] Beating

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 15:43:46 EST 2003

Lew,

There are many more experienced sailors here on the list than I, but I'll
get you started.  First,  do you sail with the pop top up?  If so, this will
increase windage and heel and slow your progress to weather.  Next, are your
sails in good shape and not blown out?  If you have the big 175% genny like
I do, you might discover that it doesn't perform as well when it's reefed
in. You also might try bringing the jib sheets inboard of the upper shrouds
if your boat is equipped with the inboard fairleads. But you can only do
this if you're reefed in a bit so the jib will clear the spreaders.  In
light to medium winds, take your main sheet traveler all the way to weather
and set the boom about on the center line.  Make sure your centerboard is
down.  Position yourself and/or crew so the boat has some, but not too much
heel to the lee.  You don't want to be straight up, and you certainly
shouldn't heel to weather.  For good sail shape, the general rule is tight
and flat for higher winds, eased and baggy for light winds.

These are just the basics.  If this all sounds familiar to you, you might
have some other problem.  How is the condition of your hull, centerboard,
rudder?  Anything dragging in the water such as the motor?

Hope this helps,
Slim