[Rhodes22-list] Subdividing masthead real estate

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Sat Dec 6 15:10:05 EST 2003

Hi all, sorry I've been too busy to chime in recently. MJM, I don't think I
voted on the charter in the first place though I may have been the 6th or
8th member of the Sailnet Rhodes list. Guess I voted with my feet
(keyboard) BUT as always, you've got my thanks for keeping this thing going
and for giving us an alternative to the Sailnet list which was obviously
too confining for these Rhowdy Rhodies.

I've got a sailing question. Things have eased off a bit and there's still
this mast sitting in one half of the garage while the 2nd car is sitting
out in the snow.

One of the projects for the winter is to install a fixed VHF and a masthead
antenna. While we are fussing with the masthead we've decided to add an
anchor light. We are curious about how the brackets are configured and
where the wiring enters the mast for those of you who have both. We've got
a Shakespeare stainless whip antenna and a Davis LED anchor light. Both
came with L-shaped stainless brackets.

The simplest mount that comes to mind would be to use the through bolt that
holds the tangs for the shrouds to also hold the brackets (one on either
side of the mast). This would require an additional screw for each bracket
to hold them in place (so they don't rotate out of position). With this
arrangement, both the coax for the antenna and the wire for the light would
need separate holes drilled to enter the forward chamber of the mast. Does
anyone have a similar arrangement? Any problems with this approach? Anyone
have a better idea?

Our other thought was to mount them directly on the cap of the mast but
routing the wires seemed to be an issue as the coax connector at the base
of the antenna won't fit over the forward chamber of the mast. This also
seems to create more of a problem in removing the antenna for trailering.
Any thoughts?

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA 19034