[Rhodes22-list] Subdividing masthead real estate

FNuttersNY at aol.com FNuttersNY at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 09:50:38 EST 2003

MaryLou, my 73 R22 came loaded with with a mast full of wires for all kinds
of devices.  Most of them were so far gone they could not carry an electron if
it had handles.  Even worse clanging noises sounded throught out the river
with the slightest movement.  I striped everthing out.  I removed the mast head
fitting and droped a wire down the mast wich exits out the side about 4" up
from the step.  Attached to the wire are two wires for the mast head light that
is fixed to the same bracket holding the arial.   I taped everything up tight
and pulled the whole bundel snug to prevent it from slapping around inside the
mast. I have made a number of mods to the rigging and see no reason not to
drill and attach various things to the mast assembly. Question for you while
we're on the mast. My Roller reefing jib attach point at the top of the mast is
fixed to a fittng  that looks like it should slide up and down in a track like a
typical mainsail but it is pined in place with a through bolt.  Is  this
typical? My mast has two tangs at the head only one is used plus I have an extra
fiting by the bow on deck.  It looks like  I could remove the jib without
dropping the rig by adding a forstay and a halyard.   What are your thoughts?