[Rhodes22-list] It is quiet - Next Year's plans?

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Mon Dec 15 20:33:43 EST 2003

Hi Vic,
We're up in Ft. Washington but keep our boat in Rock Hall, MD - for the
summer - she's tucked away in the back yard now.

As near as I can tell everything folks have said about the Delaware is
true. I've never actually sailed there but I've heard the same from others.
When Tom was talking about the current he was talking about sailing the
broader area south of Wilmington so I expect the currents are a problem
everywhere. When took a Coast Guard Auxiliary basic sailing course a few
years ago down in Philadelphia, some of the folks were talking about
sailing the Delaware. They suggested always planning your sails so that you
were coming back with the tide. I know that for the Chesapeake there are
charts that show the tidal currents. There is probably something similar
for the Delaware. Tide tables will tell you the times of high and low tides
at various points so that you can estimate the currents. Make sure you have
good charts as well. The folks at Liberty could probably tell you what's
available

If you are looking for quieter waters, there's a good ramp at Elk Neck
State Park just south of NorthEast MD that we used to use with our Com-Pac
16. I think it would work well with an R22. Gil would know what the area
around Elkton is like.

If you are driving to NC to pick up the boat see if you can take a day or
two to sail the Albemarle. We learned a lot about the boat on a short sail
with Stan and then sailed for a couple of days before we brought the boat home.

best wishes.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek MD