[Rhodes22-list] list is quite

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 16:35:02 EST 2003

Here's a fish story.

Fishing friends often suggest I troll a baited hook as I sail off the
Cleveland shore of Lake Erie.  The slow, quiet movement of the boat should be perfect
for hooking a bass, or maybe a venturesome perch.  However, I never think to
stop by the bait shop when I'm getting ready for a sail.

Little did I suspect the boat itself would be bait enough in
alien-species-infested Lake Erie.  On a day sail this past summer, I looked down at my rudder
to discover a lamprey eel attached to it!  Using its sucker mouth to hold onto
the rudder, the eel was enjoying a leisurely ride as its two-foot long body
rippled behind the boat

I thought lowering the outboard would scare the eel off.  Instead, it just
decided the motor shaft was a better hold for its sucker mouth.  (Probably got
tired of the peanut butter Stan adds to the resin.)  It left only when I
started the motor.

I'm going to keep a fish net on board from now on.  Perhaps eels are the
delicacy many Asians claim they are.

Fred