[Rhodes22-list] moorings

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 19:57:30 EST 2003

Julie,

  Our boat was on a mooring in Monroe Harbor in Chicago the season before
last.
We moved to a slip in Michigan City last year and will be back in Monroe
next year.
The advantages of a slip are the obvious: shore power, easier access, ease
of repair,
access to water for easier cleaning.  Given this, we were very happy with
the mooring.
The boat did very well with the bridle specified by the harbor.  It was a
pain when the
motor failed and there was not a readily accessible slip to tie up to.  On
the other
hand when we were in the slip last summer a drifting boat knocked out engine
off the
tracks on the motor mount.  It was kept out of the water by the line we had
tied to
the cleat on the transom.

I think the main thing is to have a reliable bridle, chafing gear and
chocks.  The mooring
also should be reasonably protected.

good luck,

Ron