[Rhodes22-list] moorings

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Mon Dec 22 21:30:14 EST 2003

I have done both mooring and docks.

pros:
1)docks are simpler for people to get on and off.
2)docks hauling supply/repairs and I left xxx in the car are simpler.
3)moorings are cheaper.
4)simpler in rought weather to leave the mooring
5)can be a real pain in the neck to get back on a mooring single handed but safer than a dock.

cons,
1)need a tender for a dock, or pay a tender services, can be a problem on rought days(or slow days),  bigest problem.
2)docks have more "hard" things around them to run the boat into.
3)fouling your prop is real dangor on a mooring
4)to setup the right system will be 500-700$ in parts, more with the setting services,
5)depending on location, low tides and waves can have the bottom smaking bottom on a mooring.
6)less people watching your boat on a mooring, might find it washed up on shure someday.

overall thier nothing wrong with it, in case it can be better than a dock in other it can be worse, BTW unless some know and
mantains the system it should be replaced, never trust an other morring.

MJM