[Rhodes22-list] moorings

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 23:09:46 EST 2003

I kept our Rhodes on a mooring in Salem Harbor last summer.  Over the last
12 years and four boats, I have had only one summer on a dock.  I prefer the
mooring.  Having said that, you are (at least potentially) more exposed to
heavy weather, and need to take precautions.  At a minimum, this would
include new double mooring pennants with chafe protection.  Some like to use
the bow eye for a mooring point.  The mooring ball and chain should be new,
inspected, and rated for the weight of the boat.  A reputable mooring
service should be able to help design and build (and inspect) the mooring.
Watch the depth of water.  You will likely be placed in closer and shallower
with the other "small" boats.  In my area, most of these were power boats,
and they respond differently to the wind and current.  Make sure you have
enough swing room.

Security is a problem on moorings.  I have in the past had items stolen off
the boat by passing fishermen (perhaps) and in one case by a neighboring
boat that needed our gull-repelling gear more than we.  Too bad I couldn't
prove it. A vigilant launch service is the best defence.  On the plus side,
it takes another boat to steal from yours on a mooring, so theft is less
opportunistic.  A gated marina is probably still safer.

Launch service is usually not included with the mooring fee around here, and
a dinghy can be pricey if you don't already have one.  If you are more than
a few hundred feet from the dinghy dock, you will (eventually) want a motor
too.

I did not find it too difficult to motor on and off the mooring sailing
alone.  In my opinion, it is less difficult than sailing into a slip, unless
you set up dedicated lines to center and stop the boat (as previously
described on the list).

There is nothing like sunset on the mooring and dinner.  Much better than
life on the pier.

Good Luck

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer