[Rhodes22-list] Still Looking

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk@trw.com
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:17:15 -0500

For sailing on the Bay the Rhodes 22 is hard to beat. the Boat moves easily in light winds and yet feels good in heavy winds. I am new to sailing but the boat seems to ghost along on any light breeze and yet feels safe in 20+ knot wind once you learn how to trim the boat.

With the IP you are going to burn a lot more fuel.

All designs are compromises, If you agree with Stan's vision you can not beat the Rhodes 22.

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> Alex Bell <alexbell@coastalnet.com> 02/02/03 04:14PM >>>
Bob,

The roller furling with the aluminum tube is a General Boats design. We
have that on our 1997 R22. It works well, with the only drawback being
that you cannot change sails. The jib is a sleve mount, with a screw
holding it onto the tube at the upper end and a leach line pulling down
to put it in tension. No track that allows you to change sails. I never
thought that to be much of a problem, but others want the capability to
change headsails.

The paint issue would depend upon getting information on the type, brand
and exact color used on the boat. If you can get that info, painting
would match fairly well. I doubt that there would be all that much
fadingin 3 years if it's high quality paint. I would probably put up
with the scratches for a season before I did much. You will probably put
a few more scratches as a new boat owner. I would look to get the paint
shipshape after my first season.

Mounting the swivel bracket should not be a big deal. You need to affix
the mounting plates onto the gunnels with 4 screws. I think the biggest
concern I would have would be the placement, which General Boats would
be able to guide you on.

If you live on the Chesapeake, you might appreciate the IP26. BTW, there
were two differnet models of IP26, the original and the IP26 MKII.
Island Packets are extremely sturdy, well built yachts. The boat you
mentioned has a beam of 10'6", LOA of 30' with length on deck of 26+'
and waterline of 24+'. It has 6'1" standing headroom, either a 12 or 15
HP desiel engine and displacement of 8,000# with 3,000# ballast. It
carries 40 sq ft of sail, so it is not going to be a speedster. It's
built along the lines of all IP's, capable of offshore sailing. For
complette information on the IP's go to
http://www.iphomeport.com/homeport/Main.htm and click on the model.
There are specifications and original sales brocures for all the IP
boats.

As a simple comparrison, the R22 has 300 sq ft of sail and weighs in at
a bit over 3,000# whereas the IP has 400 sq ft of sail and weighs in at
8,000#. Does not take a rocket scientist to predict which one will sail
well in light airs. However, the IP will allow you to continue to sail
in heavy airs while a PRUDENT SAILOR will run for cover with the R22 in
heavy air conditions. I know there will be some that would argue that
point, but some of the advantages of the R22 are also negatives in heavy
weather. Which one would I take out on a light air day or up to 15-18
mph? The R22. Which one would I take out when winds are going to be in
the 20's and up? The IP.

Alex Bell
BlewDaze, R22
Kizmet IP35