[Rhodes22-list] Still Looking & Straight Rails with Captain's Chairs

Eaton, Gil GEaton@IKON.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:23:01 -0500

	Hi Bob,
	I have a 1993 recycle with straight rails and captain's chairs.  It
was done by GBI for the previous owner.  I wouldn't even think about trying
to do this myself.  Picture attached, single set is installed, checking the
installation of the autopilot for interference..
	Good Luck,
	gil

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Friedland [mailto:a.jayf@verizon.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 8:25 PM
To: Bob Minisi; The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Still Looking

Bob-
Just back from Chicago Strictly Sail show.

I'd be happy to trade some sailing time for your  promised support of
our Southern H.S. Sailing team (only minimum is req'd.). I'm (very)
optimistically hoping to get my boat in the water in late Feb.-early
March, if the bay thaws (how does salt water freeze?). It's still down
at the factory with a few more upgrades and some bottom paint to go if
the factory gets above 50 degrees.

If the boat you're looking at is factory-painted most likely Awlcraft
2000 is the paint used, as mine is getting now. U.S. Paint has specific
touchup procedures they recommend with this based on original hull
color, some info on their website,  some from reps experience. I've
found it is a 3-4 year curing process and fine scratches can be
repaired.

The caution with the GBI furler is to check it for straightness as once
bent, unbending becomes a real trick. Sighting it or rolling tube alone
on a flat surface may be the only way of checking. The seats as you
found in AC, are the prime perch in any sailing vessel. Whether anyone
is using them with the straight rails, I don't know.

Many used R22's in the area are pretty run-down, but we could take a
look. A 1984 was just pulled out of Manahawkin (Arnold's Marine) by
Elton that was an abandoned boat, and a few more are marginal. Let me
know where and when. But it's been said before the Stan's takes the
guesswork out of the buying process.

As I always believe every sailor should have two boats, one to work on
and one to sail, the IP would be the project boat. The R22 can be
sailed virtually any time, anywhere (especially where no power boats
would stray), under any wind conditions, and for as short a time as an
hour from Causeway Marine (that's where you slipping it, right?). Try
any of that with the IP and the channel to either of the inlets is a
minimum of 1-2 hours to get to decent sailing grounds.

Anyhow, call or e-mail offline, if you want? I have your Southern
supporter sticker. Sorry about commercializing this, you know how it is.
Regards,

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 04:15 PM, Bob Minisi wrote:

> Yes.  I met Jay at the AC Sailboat Show this year.

Name: CT-elkton4.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 245967 bytes Desc: not available