[Rhodes22-list] questions from a beginner

Peter Thorn pthorn@nc.rr.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:20:20 -0500

Ahoy fellow list members!  I just joined you and have a few questions, for
any who would care to respond.

I've been racing my Tanzer 16 dinghies for 22 years, but no BBs.  However,
the idea of gunkholing on the Chesapeake or the NC estuaries closer to home
is quite appealing.  Maybe, with some luck and if there was no racing
involved, I could convince Tana to come along...

My father owned a Rhodes Continental more than 20 years ago on Lake Monroe
in Indy.  It was a great boat.

The Rhodes 22 looks very good to me. Here's what  you can help me with:

Q1    Is there a bulletin board anywhere listing used boats for sale?  Does
Stan make the market with his "recycled" boats?   Where should we look?

Q2    Do you know of anyone who has ever claimed to have "planed" their R22?
What speed was measured?

Q3    Under ideal conditions, say 10-12 windspeed and smooth water, what is
the most probable sailing speed?

Q5    Are these boats good ghosters?

Q6    Do R22 people get together often for group trips?  Is there a "class
association"?

Q7    What's the best launching area on the western shore of the Chesapeake
to depart for St Michaels in late June?

Q8    I am also considering a Santana 2023.  It appears not nearly as
comfortable as an R22, but likely quite a rocketship.  Any advice about
that?

Thank you for sharing your experiences and advice.

Pete Thorn
Chapel Hill, NC