[Rhodes22-list] questions from a beginner

Rik Sandberg sanderico@earthlink.net
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 21:43:12 -0600

Hello Pete, welcome to "da list"

I'll slip a few answers inline with your questions.

At 09:20 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Ahoy fellow list members!  I just joined you and have a few questions, for
>any who would care to respond.
>
>I've been racing my Tanzer 16 dinghies for 22 years, but no BBs.  However,
>the idea of gunkholing on the Chesapeake or the NC estuaries closer to home
>is quite appealing.  Maybe, with some luck and if there was no racing
>involved, I could convince Tana to come along...
>
>My father owned a Rhodes Continental more than 20 years ago on Lake Monroe
>in Indy.  It was a great boat.
>
>The Rhodes 22 looks very good to me. Here's what  you can help me with:
>
>Q1    Is there a bulletin board anywhere listing used boats for sale?  Does
>Stan make the market with his "recycled" boats?   Where should we look?

A1    There are a few R22s that come up for sale by private parties
occassionally. For the most part it is easiest and quickest to get in touch
with Stan at GB. This also tends to insure that you won't be buying a project.

>Q2    Do you know of anyone who has ever claimed to have "planed" their R22?
>What speed was measured?

A2   I know Roger has said that he has planed his boat in the right wind
and wave situations. Don't recall if he stated a maximum speed while this
was going on.

>Q3    Under ideal conditions, say 10-12 windspeed and smooth water, what is
>the most probable sailing speed?

A3   Hull speed is 6 knots. Under the conditions you mention above, I would
expect to make 5 to 5 1/2 fairly regularly.

>Q5    Are these boats good ghosters?

A5 What??? no Q4......oh well :-)  This last September while we were down
at Kentucky lake for our little gathering, we decided to take an overnight
excursion down the lake. The afternoon of that day was pretty much
windless, but on toward 3.00 PM the breeze started to come up a little. We
jumped in the boat with not much more than a breeze you could feel and
headed down the lake. I had just purchased a new Speed Tech hand held wind
meter, so I got it out just to see what was really going on. At first we
were sailing on pretty much a beam reach in about 2.5 to 3.5+ knots of
breeze. As we went further, the breeze picked up a little to 4 knots with
an occasional puff as high as 5.2. We pulled into a little cove about 15
miles down the lake at about 7:30. Not bad.

My experience has been, if you can feel a breeze, this boat will sail.

>Q6    Do R22 people get together often for group trips?  Is there a "class
>association"?

A6   No, I don't know of any formal class association. We do get together
though. The folks on the Chesapeake had kind of an informal sail-in kind of
a thing last May, on Memorial Day weekend with 5 or 6 boats, IIRC. We more
midwestern oriented Rhodies have had a gathering at Kentucky Lake, in
September for the last 2 years. My wife and I and a few of the others made
a week of it. Great fun, but not really formally organized. We do have a
traveling trophy though, for the winner of our annual regatta.

>Q7    What's the best launching area on the western shore of the Chesapeake
>to depart for St Michaels in late June?

A7   Have to let some of the Chesapeake folks answer this one. There are
several that know their way around that area.

>Q8    I am also considering a Santana 2023.  It appears not nearly as
>comfortable as an R22, but likely quite a rocketship.  Any advice about
>that?

A8   Have never seen a Santana 2023. I have heard a few other folks that
own them talk about them though. If speed is your goal, a 2023 might be a
good choice, kinda lacking in comfort though. If you want comfort in a good
sailing, sea kindly, reasonably fast (for a cruiser) boat the R22 is for
you. Not too much doubt in my mind that your Admiral will like it better.

Hope this helps a little. Best regards, Rik