[Rhodes22-list] questions from a beginner

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 07:35:02 -0500

Peter,

I added my responses down inside of your document.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Thorn" <pthorn@nc.rr.com>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:20 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] questions from a beginner

> Ahoy fellow list members!  I just joined you and have a few questions, for
> any who would care to respond.
>
> I've been racing my Tanzer 16 dinghies for 22 years, but no BBs.  However,
> the idea of gunkholing on the Chesapeake or the NC estuaries closer to
home
> is quite appealing.  Maybe, with some luck and if there was no racing
> involved, I could convince Tana to come along...
>
> My father owned a Rhodes Continental more than 20 years ago on Lake Monroe
> in Indy.  It was a great boat.
>
> The Rhodes 22 looks very good to me. Here's what  you can help me with:
>
> Q1    Is there a bulletin board anywhere listing used boats for sale?
Does
> Stan make the market with his "recycled" boats?   Where should we look?

I bought my R-22 from a private party in the spring of 1987.  As I recall, I
saw the ad in one those inexpensive newsprint "Cars, Motorcycles, RV's,
Boats For Sale" magazines that are published weekly.  However, I'd been
looking for nearly a year at the time.

> Q2    Do you know of anyone who has ever claimed to have "planed" their
R22?
> What speed was measured?

OK, the R-22's theoretical hull speed is 5.24 knots.  On a tri-radial
spinnaker
broad reach with about 20 knots of wind, you will see a sustained 6 knots in
flat water & flash readings up around 7 knots while surfing down waves.  The
boat responds well to an aggressive sailing style.  It is very much like a
big
sailing dingy in that it sails fastest if heeling is minimized.  It is also
very
sensitive to fore/aft trim.  i.e., in marginal planning conditions, a sharp
crew
can induce planning by carefully shifting weight fore/aft.  In flat water, a
slightly
bow-down trim reduces the drag from the wide, flat area of the hull behind
the
keel & will thus help the boat start planning sooner.  In waves, the boat
needs a little more bow floatation to punch thru the waves & level on
the waterline is fastest.  Trimming down by the stern is always slower.

> Q3    Under ideal conditions, say 10-12 windspeed and smooth water, what
is
> the most probable sailing speed?

These conditions will get you moving at hull speed while sailing close
hauled & a little faster, say about 5.5 knots, on a broad reach.

> Q5    Are these boats good ghosters?

The R-22 carries a lot of sail area for its size & is at its best in light
to moderate air.  For this reason, the boat is considered by some to be a
little "tender" & needs to reef earlier than other boats.

> Q6    Do R22 people get together often for group trips?  Is there a "class
> association"?

The last couple of years, there has been a week long group trip on Kentucky
Lake.  This list is pretty much the only class association.  Very few R-22's
are raced.  There is no one design fleet.  PHRF is about your only option.

> Q7    What's the best launching area on the western shore of the
Chesapeake
> to depart for St Michaels in late June?

Don't know, I live in Michigan.

> Q8    I am also considering a Santana 2023.  It appears not nearly as
> comfortable as an R22, but likely quite a rocketship.  Any advice about
> that?

Fast boat - Not built to the same standard of quality as an R-22 - Nowhere
near the capability to cruise in comfort as an R-22