[Rhodes22-list] Furlers - CDI or GB

Mark Kaynor mark@kaynor.org
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:58:52 -0500

Julie,

Raven has the CDI furler. It has been problem-free, and we're very happy
with it. The previous owner changed from the GB furler to the CDI, but I
don't recall hius reason for doing so. I believe it was so he could have the
option of changing the headsail as necessary, but the boat came with only
the 175%, so I'm not certain about that. I'm glad he did, however, since we
just ordered a 135% and plan to change at the dock depending on the expected
conditions.

We have a small board we slide into the mast and fix in place with set
screws, to which we attach the furler with bungees or line. The board keeps
the foil straight and provides support for the furler during transport. It
works well and is no problem to set up.

The CDI halyard is just longer than the foil, so you need to attach a
"messenger line" to it when you change sails. Once the new sail is up, you
untie the messenger line and refasten the halyard to the furler. Pretty easy
at the dock, not as easy underway.

I have never used the GB furler, so can't speak to that.

Mark Kaynor

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julie Thorndycraft" <julie@circle7.net>
To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 1:44 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Furlers - CDI or GB

When we get our recycled Rhodes, we have the option of either getting the
CDI furler or the one created by General Boats. I'd like to get some
feedback from those of you on the list who have experience with either or
both. We will be trailering the boat frequently and both Elton and Stan have
indicated that the GB one is easier to tie down but that it will not allow
you to change sails with the mast up - at this point that is not a big issue
because we will only have one genoa (175%).

Are there other pros/cons for either?
Repair/maintenance issues?
Ease of rigging?

Thanks in advance for your advice,