[Rhodes22-list] For the serious sailboat racers

Steve rhodes2282@yahoo.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:40:16 -0800 (PST)

  Complete story at:
       http://www.gflyc.com/

Frostbite Race 4

      Rolling tubes of fog floated across the glassy
surface of Greers Ferry Lake to hide the shore line
and marks from view. At times, the competition and the
committee boat disappeared in a dense grey cloud. Was
this Greers Ferry Lake or San Fransico Bay? After a
slight breeze began, the committee boat set the course
and gave the fleet the compass reading to the mark.
The starting horn sounded and the fleet slowly
proceeded to creep up the course to the first mark. As
boats separated they slowly began to fade into the
fog. Above the fleet of boats, a large dark cloud
moved ominously toward the Frostbite participants.
Several claps of thunder were heard followed by
flashes of lighting. Contacting the committee boat,
the question was presented "Are we going to cancel?"
"No" was the response from the gentlemen in charge,
"We still have beer." After thinking it through and
having most of the captains agree, the race was
canceled. After the race, Bob and Anita Willet invited
their fellow sailors to their boat to watch the
America's Cup.