[Rhodes22-list] Depthsounder

Jim Connolly jbconnolly@speakeasy.net
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:42:37 -0500

I am at home waiting for blizzard conditions to develop this afternoon.
Forecast here is for less snow than MJM, but still enough (10-24").
Fortunately, I went to the boat show yesterday. ;-)

I've been thinking about depthsounder installation and transducer location.
I didn't see anything about this in the FAQ, but recall having discussed it
on the list.

I've never been a fan of transom mounted depthsounders, but they are quick
and easy, and usually cheaper.  I recall some have mounted them inside the
cabin, potted in epoxy and shooting through the hull, but where did you do
this?  What type of trasducer did you use (e.g., does it make a difference
whether you mount a trasnducer intended to be transom-mounted or
through-hull in this manner?  Are there portions of the hull bottom that are
less-suitable for thie (i.e., cored)?

Ideally, I would like to mount a relatively inexpensive transducer somewhere
forward of the keel in a safe location in a locker or beneath the deck.  I
would also like to keep it simple and inexpensive.

BTW, on my last sailboat, I used the keel as a depthsounder.  I figure the
R22 deserved better.

Jim Connolly