[Rhodes22-list] Depthsounder

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:42:00 -0500

Jim, just for clarification:

Underneath the potti the hull does not have a pronounced V, and it is not
yet forward of the leading edge of the keel, but it is SLIGHTLY forward of
the deepest portion of the keel and the centerboard.  If you go further
forward, yes it does get more pronounced.  Where my sensors are, they are
nearly horzontal (although not as flat as further aft in the same location)
and they've never been out of the water on a heel or been in dirty flow.  To
my knowledge, I've never lost a signal, although I admit that I don't
usually spend much time looking at my instruments when I'm at 25 deg of
heel.
;^)

Instrument placement is as much an exercise in trade offs as anything else,
and your cruising grounds may bear on your decision. It is important to know
the trade-offs you make, and to do it with your eyes open. Personally, I
still prefer the common location of under the potti.  Other locations are
quite suitable, and are superior in certain respects (as I noted in my
original post).

Oh, Roger...  regarding your statement: 'Anyone that thinks such
a short distance is going to keep them out of trouble in rapidly shoaling
water doesn't know how to properly use a depthsounder.'

I find that statement offensive.  If you targeted that to Jim's desire to
have his transducer forward of the keel, I find it patronizing and
unfriendly at best. If it was in response to my reply on the sailnet list,
then I find it insulting. If you read my post you should have noted that I
limited that advantage severely.  However, I stand by it.  If your sensor is
in front of your keel, you have SOME chance of detecting an object before
you hit it.  IF you detect an object, you may not have much time to react,
but some time is better than no time.  You may even have enough time to
brace yourself and keep your face off the deck. If your sensor is behind
your keel, you have no chance.  Is this proper use of a depth sounder?  No.
Depthsounders are to get macro (general) depth information and not to detect
specific obstructions.  Could it be useful information?  You betcha.  Do I
rely on it?  No way.  Either way, lighten up.

Jim, if you bothered to read this far... consider all of the alternatives
and weigh them accordingly.  Think about what you need and weigh the
alternatives. Choose the one you think will work best for you and you
probably won't go wrong. In fact, the biggest limitation has not yet been
discussed: Please make sure you have enough clearance ABOVE the transducer
(for the sole or other obstructions).  It'd really bite to drill the hole
only to find that the transducer sticks up a half inch higher than the cabin
sole!

Good luck,

--Doug