[Rhodes22-list] Depthsounder

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:02:08 -0500

Jim,

I have Autohelm ST-50 instruments.  The depth transducer requires a 2" ID
hole & is about 3" long from the bottom of the flange to the end of the
threaded portion.  The cable is epoxied in placed & comes out the end of the
threaded portion.  In the location recomended by Stan amidships under the
cabin sole, there are at least a couple of inches of clearance between the
end of the transducer & the underside of the sole.

Doug,

I'm glad you are satisfied with your depthsounder installation.  Were you
aware of the potential echo return signal loss problem when you installed it
in that location?  Even though you got your unit to work, it's still
considered bad practice to mount it like that.  Another brand of depth
sounder may or may not work in that location.  By the way, are you sure it
works when you are heeled over on starboard tack?

As you are no doubt aware, depthsounders are not intended to look forward in
the manner of an active military-style SONAR unit searching for a submarine.
This capability would require that the transducer be mounted in a "blister"
which protruded downward from the hull or in a bludge on the bow.
Depthsounders are not intended to detect a sudden step change in water level
or obstructions ahead in real time.  Perhaps I worded my post a little too
strongly.  If I offended you, then I apologise.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium