[Rhodes22-list] Depthsounder

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:52:44 -0500

Jim,

The lazarette compartment would be my 2nd choice for mounting a depth
sounder transducer.  The hull is nice and flat back there.  The hull is
relatively thin under the lazarette compartment and there is easy access to
the backside of the transducer for initial installation and any future
repairs.  If you mounted the transducer slightly off the centerline; then,
any bubbles from the cockpit drain shouldn't affect it.  I would mount it on
the starboard side away from the engine and as far forward in the lazarette
compartment as possible.  This is so, that in reverse gear, the bubbles from
prop cavitation and engine exhaust won't confuse the depthsounder.

My only caution about a lazarette compartment installation is the need to
protect the backside of the transducer and the cable from shifting cargo.  I
don't know about you; but, I keep some pretty heavy gear like anchors,
chains, shore power cord, fishing tackle box, trolling motor battery, etc in
the lazarette compartment.  On a rough passage or trailering down the road,
having one of those items snap off the transducer or damage the cable would
be a real bummer.  You might lose your depthsounder just when you really
need it.  Or, even worse, create a bad leak into your lazarette compartment.

The other nice thing about the bilge installation I suggested in my earlier
post is that there is nothing rattling around loose underneath the cabin
sole to damage the transducer or cable.

There are enough things that can go crooked while sailing.  I just hate to
install a built-in "gotcha" in my boat that I always have to be careful
about.  But, I suppose if you were willing to install suitable protection
for the backside of the transducer and cable; then, the lazarette
compartment could be a good location.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium