[ham] Re: [Rhodes22-list] 'links' or 'resources'(Rik'sGraphics)

Rik Sandberg sanderico@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:25:40 -0600

To all on the list,

Ok, I'm watching this link thing and have had a little time to think about
all of this and I think it's time I said my piece.

First, I don't know how to tell those of you who have recommended my
services how grateful I am for your support. It's really nice to have folks
say things as nice as the compliments you guys have made, about my work. I
want you to know that I was happy to do it and if you need anything else,
I'll try to help with that too, if you want. Anyone else that would like to
have something done is welcome as well.

That being said; I think I would rather not have a link to my web page, for
two reasons:

1.  Listening to the banter back and forth. I feel that, sooner or later,
this is going to cause hard feelings on somebody's part. Things that may be
being said in jest now will sooner or later become the real thing. I don't
need to advertise so badly that I have to have my friends upset with me over
it. I do not need to do this work to keep the roof over my head and shoes on
the kids. :-) I do it because it's something I enjoy doing.

2. I like to do the graphics work, BUT, it is not my occupation. I have a
lot of occupations right at the minute, maybe too many. As it is, doing the
boat names and stuff is more of a pleasant diversion/hobby kind of a thing.
If I get a bunch of links out there to my site. I may end up busier than I
can deal with on a part time basis. Knowing how I usually am, I would be
unhappy to have to tell someone that I couldn't make them a boat name
because I just couldn't make enough time. Therefore, it just may be better
if we keep it between us. I love doing the few things I have done for folks
on the list, but there is no way I could handle a large influx of business.

The site started out (last Thursday night) as nothing more than a place I
could post a screen shot for someone I might be making a graphic for, to
view it, without having to clog up their mail box with large image files. I
thought that I would start building the rest of the site too, as long as I
was doing that one page. Someday, I may be in a position to take up the
graphics thing on more of an occupational basis. Need to get out of a couple
other businesses first though.

So, again, I can't tell you guys how grateful I am for your support and
again, I'll be happy to make some boat names now and then, but I think I'd
rather not have a link to my site. Just word of mouth is fine. Now, Alex and
Pamela might be a whole different deal. I think they are going for it more
or less full time and as a sole means of support. I'm sure they could use
all the business they could get right off the bat. Far as I'm concerned, if
we are able to help them to get started in some small way, then I'm all for
it. But, again, I'd hate to see any hard feelings over it.

Thanks for listening
Rik