[Rhodes22-list] Questions

Jim Connolly jbconnolly@speakeasy.net
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:44:06 -0500

My '85 recycled in the photo will be equipped with IMF, genoa furler
(presumably GB model) and 175% genoa, 7:1 motor lift, mast raising system
(i.e., generally similar to 2002 Boat Show Package #2).  There are still a
few opportunities to make choices.

Boat will be sailed various places, mostly Boston, MA area bays,
Salem/Marblehead area, Cape Cod, etc.  Also some lake sailing in NH a week
or so a year.

1.  I'm thinking about a Yamaha F6 (4-stroke) outboard, long shaft with
optional high-thrust prop and generator kit.  Anybody have any input.
Hondas are nice, (have one of their lawnmowers) but more money, no 6HP
available.  Had good luck with Yamaha 250HP on last powerboat.  Unimpressed
but no major complaints with Nissan 5HP 1-cyl 2-stroke on last sailboat.
Nissans are available locally at lowest prices anywhere, REgarding Yamaha, I
know survey indicated 8-HP is most popular size.  8-HPs exceed my optimal
budget, and Yamaha T-8 is very heavy.

2.  Is 175% genoa the best sail for this boat and the prevailing summer
winds in these parts, or should I ask Stan about availability of other
sails.

More questions as they occur to me.  If I've missed something, let me know.

Jim Connolly