[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Questions

Robert Quinn rjquinn@bellsouth.net
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:16:11 -0500

Jim:  I have an '86 Rhodes so my motor lift does not go above the stern.  I
therefore have to tilt my engine (extra long shaft) to get it out of the
water when sailing.  I have rigged a bridle and three to one pulley assembly
which permits me to do this from the cockpit without having to extend over
the back of the boat to haul the engine up.  Makes the job a snap. The
original motor mount was reinforced to handle the extra weight of the Yamaha
9.9.

Yes, with the standard furler you have to drop the mast to change foresails.
We have a 150 Genoa and for where we sail, I am not displeased with the fact
that I cannot change sails.  We just furl as necessary and we can also bring
the sheets inside the outers and lowers if necessary to get some pointing
advantage.  While you may lose a bit of performance by furling the headsail
in this fashion, we again, do not feel this is significant to our cruising
type of sailing.  We are not racers but if there is another boat in the
area, well...  We find that we can hold our own against most boats in this
size category and manage to give some of the larger boats a run for their
money.

Best of luck with your decision.

Bob on the "NoKaOi"