[Rhodes22-list] Hey Wally, Your End of the State is Behind

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:32:15 -0800 (PST)

Alex,

 I watched Army play the U. of Memphis earlier this
year with a friend of mine who used to quarterback for
U of M.  I rooted for Army to make it interesting and
then noticed that most of the U of M crowd was rooting
for Army as well as their own team.  I guess it was
another post 9/11 thing.  The half-time para-sail demo
had the crowd on their feet.  Army got pummeled in the
game but the U of M fans were congratulating the Army
fans afterward and cheering the Army busses as they
left the stadium.  You don't see that too often in
college football.  I have always advocated that we
should just make it official and let the colleges pay
their players.  A handful of schools would dominate
because of thier rich alumni but then how is that
different than now?.  We could quit playing games
about "student athletes" vs NFL training camps.  My
youngest son was invited to a game at Neyland the year
TN won the national championship and he still talks
about the experience.  Maybe some day I can get a
second mortgage or sell my boat and buy a ticket.
Brad.