[Rhodes22-list] Tight Turns To Port With The Wind Astern

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:32:56 -0500

Saroj,

As long as the kick-up rudder blade is fully down, you should be able to put
the rudder tiller over to full lock in one direction & the outboard motor
tiller to full lock in the other direction without any interference between
the rudder blade & the prop.  At least I can do this on Dynamic Equilbrium.
I would be very surprised if all R-22's were not setup this way because, if
there was potential interference with the rudder blade in its normal fully
down position; then, that would be a hidden disaster just waiting to happen.
Interference could damage the rudder blade & cause the shear pin on the prop
to fail, probably just at the worst possible moment.  This would be a real
design flaw because both mechanisms are moving within their normal range of
travel & are not interlocked to prevent this reverse movement.  Thus, it
would be considered a major engineering design mistake if it were possible
to have interference.  NOTE: If the kick-up rudder blade is not fully down;
then, there is most definitely a full lock interference problem between the
rudder blade & the prop.

By the way, you may want to kneel on the cockpit seat & hang onto something
the 1st time you try this manuever.  The boat will turn as fast as a
dodge-em car at the carnival & you need to be prepared to straighten out the
tiller & motor & shift into neutral at the completion of the turn.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium