[Rhodes22-list] Tight Turns -- Alternate Approach

Keyes, David dkeyes@velaw.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:05:46 -0600

Thanks, Bill.  I will use your approach regarding bow and stern lines
positioned in advance when docking, and I will try your suggestion regarding
raising the rudder to a nearly horizontal position.  I learned in my
November docking snafu what should have been obvious--have long lines ready
on the boat; if nothing else, they can be thrown at someone on the dock
willing to help or used by a crew member who has jumped to the dock.  The
pre-set lines already cleated to the dock aren't any help if you can't get
into the slip properly in the first place.

As far as walking off with the two lines in hand, that will be especially
useful the next time I come into the marina and decide the weather
conditions won't let me get into my slip.  There is an area between two
other piers where I think there is room (at least there seems to be in fair
weather) to come about and pull upwind along side the main pier, not in any
slip.   When I can get into my own slip, my dock lines that are left
permanently cleated at the slip can easily be obtained since there is no
part of the slip that is more than about 18 inches from the boat.  The
challenge is to make the hard port turn at aimed into the slip at a
reasonble angle without the wind causing havoc during the tight turn into
the tight space.  Also, although I have never done this, entering into the
slip too fast, without using the motor's reverse thrust to stop, could send
the boat crashing into the giant metal winching and gear equipment that
control the floating dock and which take up the front two feet of one corner
of my 10x25 slip.

David Keyes