[Rhodes22-list] Router

Mark Kaynor mark@kaynor.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:57:34 -0500

Slim,

Basically, a router acts like a traffic cop, directing packets of
information from one network to another. It can be implemented in either
software or hardware. It allows your local network (your computer) to talk
to the Internet.

Internet security is all about layers - a single layer of defense can (most
likely will)  fail - the idea is to place as many impediments in the way for
the crackers as you can. Make it hard on the bastards.

The RoadRunner service uses cable modem technology. Some cable modems come
with features that can be configured to perform firewall-like functions,
others do not. Your cable modem acts as your router. You should read the
documentation that came with your cable modem to see how "smart" it is. If
there's a configuration menu, you should also change the default password.
Lots of successful cracks occur because the sysadmin relies on default
passwords that are common knowledge among crackers.

I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't speak to the Mac, specifically. I maintain
several networks for my firm and our clients. We have firewalls in place and
have been very diligent about keeping up with and applying security patches
as we learn of them. "Door knob twisters" test us all the time. Automated
worms test us all the time. Bad guys from the Netherlands, Russia, China,
Czechoslovakia, and everywhere else in the world test us all the time. We
have servers that are connected to the Internet and these are like honey to
bees. When the crackers see an open port (like a web server or a mail
server) they start to drool <g>.

My advice: First, find and install some personal firewall software. A quick
search shows several for the Mac. Symantec / Norton makes one. Second, look
around on the net for Mac-specific security info - see the Symantec site or
http://www.macintoshsecurity.com/ as examples. Third, obtain, install, and
routinely maintain and update anti-virus software.

You can purchase and install a router if you feel a need to. A properly
configured router / firewall can be very difficult to crack. Keep in mind,
though, that an incorrectly configured router / firewall can be like having
no protection at all.

BTW - any of you PC users out there - if you don't need Microsoft file and
printer sharing, uninstall it. This is one simple way you can help keep the
bad guys (the "black hats") out.

Mark Kaynor