[Rhodes22-list] Trailer extension question

Bob Weber ruba1811@hotmail.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:00:36 -0600

Bob, I have never had a problem with the remaining part of the extention.
As long as it is not bent keep for the long shallow ramp.  Another word on
docking (Sailors can talk about docking and pilots can talk about landing
all day since it is a personal sense of achievement thing)  There also is a
lot of overlap.  Rule 1 any docking wilth little damage or injury is a "GOOD
Docking".  Anne and Rummy have the right Idea - it must be a measurable,
repeatable proceedure.  If someone can come up with a proceedure to land a
huge jet on the back of a tiny moving carrier, then a proceedure can be
divises to do anything.  Mine proceedure starts befor the harbor entrance.
Fenders out on correct side, boat hook handy, crew knows what to do (
nothing - absolutely no leaps to save a bad attempt ).   Then as I enter the
harbor I note wind direction/speed and plan for engine failure ( pilot
carryover - had engine failure 3 times, twice had a plan and no problem
other time ended up soft aground infront of a crowd)  Next I keep idol
forward gear until I am abeam of a certine slip.  I hit nuetral and glide
make my 100 degree turn as a precise point which puts me entering the pier
at a 10 degree angle.  When I have the pier made I hit reverse and grab a
dock line which is supposed to be handy and easy to drop over the winch to
stop the forward progress.  Cut engine and wave to adoring fans.  By making
the proceedcure measurable you can adjust for various conditions,
tailwind/headwind/xwind.   Sharp S-Turns are commonly used by captians who
are comming in a little fast and dropping the engine in gear for a measured
count (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc)  will help with comming in too
slow.    The key is "Measured and Repeatable" proceedure.  After a couple
mistakes you got a recipe for a perfect landing.  As far as help from the
dock, I would like someone to be on the dock to throw me my port spring line
since that is the only one I cant reach from on the boat.  When I see a boat
comming in I usually just stand near the slip and wait for a call for help.
If no call then you either get an excellent view of a disaster or have to
act totally unimpressed by a "GOOD  landing".  If you help without being
asked you are setting yourself up for being the scapegoat for all the
mistakes of the captian.  Hope it helps, It is one of my favorite hang ups.
>From the deck at the marina you have a perfect spot to see all boats
docking, needless to say I can sit in rocking chair all day and watch the
show.

Good luck,

Bob Weber