[Rhodes22-list] Escape From Experimental Island

rhendy rhendy@earthlink.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:40:01 -0500

Wally,
   Thanks for the positive words.  I am glad you enjoyed the show.  The boat
that you see in the opening is way, WAY cool.  It is called the "Puffin."
The guys who run it are actually a commercial diving outfit.  It is powered
by twin Yamaha, 245 HP I/O engines which will drive it along at about 50
mph.  And it will just about turn in its own length.  The ride form the
campsite to the beach was about 30 minutes and we had a gas.
   Going back and forth to the island is is actually about 3 hours on a
commercial ferry.
  Camping was about as good as camping gets.  The big tent at the end was
the kitchen.  The food and amenities were taken care of by two professional
guides who took excellent care of us.  The BBC really treated us well.  The
teams eat together, travel together, and are actually apart only at the
shoots.  The eight of us were actually one big (happy?) family.  Ken and
Jack are actually pretty good guys if a bit high strung and self confident.
They are all still high on my e-mail list.
   The problem with the Red Rum Raider was, and still is, a mystery.  We
were actually the only machine to complete the course at all prior to the
race.  We had our machine running along quite well earlier in the day.  Then
we broke for about four hours to shoot the final sequence, (both ways, btw.
Team Red also got to ride in the chopper.)  and then dinner.  The final race
was run at about 10 pm.  (It doesn't look it, but the fact is that the days
near the arctic circle in the summertime are exceptionally long.)  Whatever
happened in that four hours, the Red machine never ran again.

Fair Winds,

Bob Hendrickson
S/V Getaway