[Rhodes22-list] R22.org Website

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:35:03 -0500

The incomplete thought wasn't critical...  just an innane reminder that you
will probably get a lot of ideas from us (most good, some not-so-good), and
the challenge is to pick the right good ideas and make them work together.
A great combination of good ideas will be better than a mediocre combination
of great ideas.  Does that make sense?

Anyway... yes, a new color scheme and updated graphics would be good.  You
could also soften the edge of the left-side navigation in the background gif
(bg.gif, I think).  Just remember: don't overdo the graphics!  Some of us
are still on modem connections.  I'm willing to wait for thumbnails to load
on a picture site, but I don't like to wait for big useless files to load,
such as large backgrounds, music, etc.

There is still some controversy in the field about the need for text-based
redundant navigation (in the footer of the current design).  You can
probably eliminate it for now, but do the following with the left-side to
prevent problems:
1) Provide descriptive alt tags on every navigation image (e.g. for the
image "Photos", add alt=Photo gallery in the image tag.)
OR
2) Change the background on the left to a LIGHT color and use text-links for
navigation.  You could use a cascading stylesheet to control the color and
style of the links, but make sure that the site will still look good in a
browser that doesn't support stylesheets. (in otherwords, make sure the
links will still look good as blue-underlined text on whatever background
you have).

It really depends on if you want to learn how to create and use stylesheets.

Issues with the FAQ are noted.  If I recall correctly, Tom Evans was
receptive to the idea of someone taking over the FAQ.  For now, you could
just grab all of the pages and images from his site and mirror it on your
machine to work on it.  Make your changes and run them by Tom for his input.
You could then either send them back to him for reposting or adjust the
links and put them up on R22.org (eliminating the annoying geocities pop-ups
in the process).  Doing this wouldn't mean that you've taken on
responsibility for the FAQ, just integrating the FAQ into the broader
re-design of the site.  Later, list participants can work out how to manage
the content on the FAQ.