[Rhodes22-list] bolt rope or sail slides

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:29:07 -0500

Bob,

Look in West Marine Catalogue, pg 1038 at sail slugs. Not sure what
size, but 3/8 would probably work. You can sew these on directly to the
boltrope/sail. You would probably want them 18" apart, but I think I put
them in at 12" intervals. Look on pg 1040 for sail needles, sail palm
and maybe the speedy sticher sewing awl.

You can sit down and relax in front of the TV and sew these slugs onto
your sail. It's not very hard to go through the bolt rope a few times,
then start wraping turns through the stainless bail and sew thru the
boltrope again. Maybe 10/15 wraps should be sufficient, but enough to
cover the full bail. You can then add a sail stop to the track to keep
the sail from falling out of the slot when you drop the main. You might
be able to fashon a cover plate that would allow the slides to fall
below the slot and down to the boom level. This allows you to use a
mainsail cover and leave the sail on the boom after sailing.

Alex Bell