[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Najibullah

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:36:58 -0500

Slim,

Actually, I think the last middle eastern military dictator to fall was
Najibullah in Afghanistan who was backed by the then Soviet Union.  The
United States, with brilliant forethought and planning, sent money, provided
weapons, and set up training areas in remote regions of Afghanistan for a
group of Muslim fanatics, many imported from other countries, we called the
"Mujahadeen", who were able to down Soviet helicopters with Stinger missiles
we provided.  One of the leaders of the "Mujahadeen" was a fellow named
Osama
Bin Laden.

When the Soviets had enough, and left; Najibullah was killed, and the
"Mujahadeen" started fighting over the spoils.  In Afghanistan the only way
to earn real money is by controlling the opium trade, and that is what the
"Warlords" fought over.  Various regions were taken over by Warlords, and
run in a feudal manner as they had been since time immemorial.  These
fiefdoms were financed by opium trade money.

Other "Mujahadeen" who had been fighting the Soviets for the ouster of
secular governments and against foreign intervention in Arab countries, took
control of the training areas, and mountain caves we had set up, which were
of no interest or value to the "Warlord" group.  This group, which coalesced
under the name "Al Quida" saw the retreat of the Soviet Union as just the
first of a string of victories sure to come.  They continued to train,
finance and ship fighters, along with our weapons, all over the world, to
advance their agenda.

Most of the Afghan foot soldiers simply returned to their towns and villages
all over Afghanistan, bringing with them their late 20th century weapons,
which allowed them to erect "toll booths" throughout the country from which
they collected revenues from anyone attempting to go from any place to any
other place.  "Law and Order" was never Afghanistan's long suit.

The country became wilder and woollier than the wildest our West ever got.
Afghanistan was soon the leading source of heroin in the world.  The United
States was deeply enmeshed in our last war, the "War on Drugs", and we soon
discovered, much to our chagrin, that some of our former allies in
Afghanistan, who had humiliated the Russians at our behest, had now become
some of the leading suppliers of drugs in the world.

Something had to be done.  So we went to the religious teaching centers (men
only) in southern Afghanistan, called "Madrassas", and recruited a
fundamentalist group called the "Taliban" offering to equip them if only
they would bring some semblance of  "Law and Order" to the country.  We
agreed not to meddle with the way they ran the country's affairs, if they
would agree to eradicate the opium trade.

The bargain was struck, and each side was true to its word.  We supplied the
Taliban, they killed and dismembered highwaymen, warlords, and anyone
growing poppies.  In almost no time, Afghanistan fell from the ranks of
major opium producers.  Taliban rule was harsh, but hey--if they had trains
they would have run on time.  The Warlords lost their grip throughout
Afghanistan and were pushed into the northern provinces where they fought
losing battles against the Taliban.

Then came 9/11 and we noticed, almost for the first time, that Al Quida
might be an even bigger problem than the drug trade.  We told our former
allies, the Taliban, who had scrupulously upheld their end of the bargain,
that we were changing the terms.  They had to capture and hand over the
leader of Al Quida, the self-same Osama Bin Laden, or we would switch sides
and support the nefarious "Warlords" whom we had been vilifying for the past
several years.  The Taliban lacked the means to fight both the home grown
Warlords and the imported Al Quida.  What's more, they had no quarrel with
Al Quida who, over the years, had lent logistical support, men, money, and
weapons to the Taliban in their fight with the Warlords.

Slim, are you still with me?

The rest, as they say, is history.  The Taliban are back in their Madrassas
teaching the younger generations to hate us.  Al Quida is back in their
caves teaching and exporting terrorism.  And the Warlords (whom we now call
"The Northern Alliance") are back in Kabul dealing dope.

Next week:  The rise of the Baathist Party and Saddam Hussein in Iraq
(thanks to our brilliant global strategy, weapons supply, and financing) and
the successful thwarting of Iran's attempt to oust Saddam Hussein.  (I'm not
exactly sure, but I think Iran is now one of our allies vs. Iraq, but one of
our opponents in Afghanistan...........)

Hope this helps,

Bill Effros

PS -- Going to see the Stones tomorrow night.