[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Najibullah

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:51:18 -0600

Thanks Bill,

Very interesting and informed comments.  I go crazy when I look at the
historical flip-flopping the US has done with these groups.  Similar
paradoxes throughout South America. (Rolling Stones song, "Under Cover"
banned in South America)  Less concern for freedom and democracy and more
about raw business.  My wife lived in Brazil during their military
dictatorship and actually knew several people who "disappeared."

On the drug trade, here's another one of my wacky ideas:
In the big US cities, various gangs fight over turf and, let's call it
"product."  When conflicts arise, gang members tend to rely on that most
primary strategy of conflict resolution, murder.  In Afghanistan, as you so
articulately described, same thing--gangs, turf and product.  Now, on a
world-wide scale, the nations are the gangs and the product is the oil.  The
world is addicted to this product and we'll fight to the death to get our
fix.  The conflict resolution strategy is the same.  When all else fails,
just shoot 'em.  This is human nature at it's most basic.  Hasn't changed in
tens of thousands of years.  The term "Civilized Society" surely seems to be
an oxymoron.

Sorry to be so cynical but I was just listening to a report suggesting that
Hollywood violence is corrupting our youth.  I think it's the evening news
that's simply informing them on how mature adults solve their problems.

Sorry, sorry.  I think I'll take my medication now.  :-/

On a happier note, enjoy the Stones!  We want a full report. Think of this
thread when they do "Sympathy For the Devil."  X-Gov. Ventura's favorite
song. ;-)
Slim