[Rhodes22-list] Transom thru hull drains

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk@trw.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:23:46 -0500

Thanks
Bob

>>> flybrad@yahoo.com 01/20/03 10:17AM >>>
Joe,

My boat is an 82' model.  I don't know if the plastic
thru-the-hull fittings were from GBI or a addition.  I
hate to give advice on something I haven't seen, BUT,
it should be a simple matter of using a wood bit that
is the same size as the thru-the-hull hole you have
and drilling inward from outside the transom. If you
can't cut the nipple off inside the lazaret and polish
or sand the inside of the transom smooth (for a tight
seal of the thru-the-hull fitting retainer nut) you
may have to drill with a slightly oversize bit and go
with the next larger fitting. If you goon something up
you can always go oversize by 1/8". There is a limit
to how many times you can go oversize though, just
look at Hunters and Catalinas, they have a huge hole
in the transom you can walk through! The key to
drilling anything is to go slow, don't generate too
much heat, and by all means keep the drill bit aligned
with the hole.  Good luck.

Brad