[Rhodes22-list] Aw, C' mon Pamela

Rik Sandberg sanderico@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:22:09 -0600

Pamela, and all

Hate to see folks leave the list over this. Personally, I haven't seen any
"tirades", just open discussion on a subject that is, and should be,
important to all of us. Yes, there is some disagreement, but there wouldn't
be much to debate if there was no difference of opinion and therefore, no
good reason for discussion on the subject.. Heck, this has all been pretty
calm and civilized so far. And, there is the possibility that it will get
out of hand, but is it gets too stupid, that's what I've got a delete
button for. I can remember some times when we've all gotten pretty bent out
of shape over some sailing topics. Standard Mains'l vs R/F mains'l for
instance, or how about sailing to the Bahamas, that was a good one.

Now, if I was going to start a diatribe or a tirade, I might start out with
"That's about the dumbest thing I ever heard" or possibly some similar
idea, but with stronger language. People just having a difference of
opinion does not make a diatribe, unless one chooses to read that into it.
If we're all just going to automatically agree with everything that's said,
that won't make for very lively or challenging discussions. I, for one,
wouldn't care to see us go in that direction. When we started this list a
while back, it was because we wanted the freedom to have any discussion we
wanted. On the old list, we always had to be careful about what we said so
we wouldn't be driving potential customers away (in his opinion) from the
list owners business. Personally, I was not that thrilled about having him
looking over our shoulders all the time and monitoring our conversations to
be sure they suited his purposes.

Sometimes, especially in the winter, I have to agree with Slim, Anne and
Wally. This list represents most of my "social" life and losing it would
not be a good thing.  :-) And Rummy, I know you would say I should get a
life too, but if I went out and blew what little money I have left after
paying my taxes, carousing around town, I couldn't afford to go out and buy
these boats, eh.

Rik