[Rhodes22-list] Taxes & Politics

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:12:10 -0800 (PST)

Wally,

Originally there was supposed to be a vote on raising
taxes for the new arena but when someone brought a
lawsuit for mixing public funding for a private
business the local government did an "end run" or
maybe a "behind the back pass" would be more
appropriate and bypassed a referendum.  I give the
whole thing five years max and the team owner will be
blackmailing the county with a threatened move.

The new minor-league stadium is awsome (AutoZone Park)
and so far is successful.  The funding was a mixture
of private money (the owners) and public funding.  I
don't recall the mix.  All the bigwigs pointed to its
success as the model for the basketball team.  I sure
hope they're right.

Frankly I think its a little silly that NBA players
get paid millions to run up and down the floor for six
months but then I'm 5'11" and can't jump.  Welcome to
America, if people are willing to pay $75 each to
watch then more power to the players for earning what
they do.  Capitalism, you gotta love it!

Brad

=== message truncated ===