[Rhodes22-list] R. M. Nixon

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:18:58 -0800 (PST)

Slim,

Everyone asks that question.  If I had some solid
"dirt" I would have been singing like a canary to the
New York Times.  I flew charter for the largest
charter outfit in Arkansas, did pilot service for
several corporations, and later flew two corporate
jets that were leased back for charter.  The governor
of Arkansas doesn't have an airplane so he either
charters or someone gives him a free ride.  Some days
a bank, some days a utility, some days a political
action committee.  If a freebe couldn't be found the
state itself might pay. A state trooper always dropped
him off and another picked him up.  There were always
groupies around but that wasn't unusual for
politicians.  I flew them all.  Most were extremely
friendly, especially Dale Bumbers while he was
Senator, Wilbur Mills after he left office. I didn't
agree with Senator Bumper's politics but he always
invited me to hear him speak anywhere we went, and I
appreciated the free chicken dinner from the
Democrats. I also flew a lot of rich and powerful
business types, i.e., Jerry Jones before the Cowboys,
etc.  They were almost all great people to work for
and took an interest in the pilots well being (duh,
like we didn't control theirs).  Billy, on the other
hand, was a different story.  The average age of the
"advisors" that traveled with him was about
twenty-five (about my age at the time) and they acted
like they ruled the world.  This isn't much of a dirty
story but its the best I can do.  Boy governor is
flying to DC to make a speech and wants to leave
Arkansas about 11pm.  I called the governor's office
and explained that National will be close after 11pm
so we'll fly into Dulles.  "Does the Governor have
ground transportation or would you like me to set that
up?  Standard routine stuff.  We had bi-fold business
cards with our company name on the outside.  On the
inside was our names, the N number of the Jet, the
name of the FBO where it was parked, the phone number,
and a copy of our proposed itenerary.  If anything
changed, a meeting ran over, etc., most customers were
good about calling, or having a secretary call, so we
didn't sit around at attention all day.  Billy never
did.  As we're walking out to the jet that night one
of his punks asks "what time are we getting to
National?"  I answered "were not flying to National,
were going to Dulles".  That started a whole
conversation about what the governor wanted and didn't
want and finally ended when I suggested he call the
President and ask that they re-open National just for
them.  Anyway, we get to Dulles, I hand them our card
with the proposed schedule, and explain that we're
going to a hotel to spend the day and will be ready to
depart at, whatever time.  "NO! The governor has to be
in Hot Springs for a speech tonight, wait here!"  I
was about to punch this kids lights out but needed to
eat and keep a career going and all so I said we would
wait.  Twelve hours later we're still waiting and
getting hungry.  Finally I said "screw this lets get
something to eat".  My First Officer says, "what if
Billy shows up and we're gone?".  "Good point, we'll
order catering".  Boy governor shows up about fours
hours later with no apology and as we're walking to
the airplane he puts his arm around me and says "Brad,
we have anything to eat?".  "Yes Sir Governor, we've
got potato chips, granola bars, crackers, and all the
scotch and soda you want!".  We get on the jet and our
catering is spread out on the center console of the
cockpit, its odor permeating the whole aircraft.  We
closed off the cockpit to keep their mitts off the
food and launched.  About an hour into the flight home
my FO says, "I'm stuffed, you want this other sandwich
and dessert?".  I opened the cockpit and looked back
at Billy eating a bag of peanuts and a Coke.  "Keep
eating, we're not leaving anything for those
assholes".  Sorry, weak story but the best I can do. I
  had some wonderful customers flying charter, Billy
was not one of them.

Brad

                                           --- Steve

=== message truncated ===