[Rhodes22-list] GI Bill

Robert Quinn rjquinn@bellsouth.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:23:13 -0500

There was a GI bill for Vietnam vets as well.  Many of us were able to take
advantage of it.  Can't recall when it ended.  The military services have
continued modified GI Bills since but the member must contribute financially
to be eligible for it.  (There may have been something put in for the Gulf
War but as I had retired from the service in '89 I'm not sure.)

I used the GI Bill for one year of my undergraduate work and for my Masters.
A great program which allowed me to enlist as a 17 year old high school grad
pursue a Bachelor's degree and move from the NCO ranks to the Commissioned
ranks.  The years from '59 to '89 were the fasted "three years" of my life.
Never had a bad assignment including Korea, way up in northern Japan, Turkey
and Vietnam.  While we enjoyed some assignments more than others, they were
all rewarding as we went into them with the attitude that we were going to
make the best of them and enjoy them.