[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Taxes

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:13:13 -0500

Brad,

Don't believe everything you read on the back of a truck.

Fuel taxes did not build the highway system.  Airport taxes and fees did not
build the airports.

The following link will take you to the Senate Majority Leader's web site
where he proudly boasts of how he and your other Senator from Tennessee
managed to take $8.6 million out of the general treasury for the benefit of
the Memphis airport.

http://frist.senate.gov/press-item.cfm?id=183779

They promise to get you more.

This link describes how Michigan could find itself in a position where it
has to repay $135 million worth of airport bonds because of the weakness of
the American airline industry.

http://www.cdfa.net/cdfa/cdfanews.nsf/1.%20All%20Documents/63982F250534D5F38
6256C29005847B3

Here's a link to a firm that structures transportation bonds repaid by sales
taxes.

http://www.orrick.com/about/prtcarea/areas/PubFin_Trans.htm

And then, of course, there's the "Big Dig" in Boston "Holding the Line" at
$14.6 Billion.

Taxation is far more complicated than bumper stickers would have you
believe, and we all have a direct stake in understanding what is really
going on here.

Bill Effros