[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Taxes

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:38:26 -0800 (PST)

Bill,

Don't you just love pork barrel spending?  Now that
Frist is Senate Majority leader we Tennesseans should
see more of it coming our way.  The Interstate system
was of course started under Eisenhower who got the
idea from the Autobahn.  Yes, it was built from
general revenues.  Many of the major airports and most
of the smaller ones were originally military
installations, built from general revenue funds.  In
theory, taxes  associated with those transportation
modes are supposed to support those activities but
these "funds" are borrowed to support the general
revenue fund and vice a versa.  Most of us that sail
on inland lakes do so on TVA sponsored projects, paid
for from general revenue funds, not user fees.  Bill's
point, and yours by implication, is well taken;
whether a given tax is a good one or not depends on
your direct benefit.  My point (and there has been a
consistant point to all this dialogue) is that
programs get started to address a specific problem and
then never get re-visited to see if they're still
needed or whether they work.  When someone suggests
that we take a second look then they are painted with
a broad brush of cruel, heartless, wrong values, etc.
Example:  my parents are retired on social security
and frankly it isn't enough.  I pay the maximum social
security tax each year and it doesn't cover half their
benefits.  What's the solution?  Double the tax?  My
personal solution is to pay their utility bills, give
them a truck I don't need, stock their fridge when I'm
home.  But if I make a public statement like "social
security is broken and can't be sustained at its
current level" am I suddenly an insensitive jerk or a
realist?  Pick your program, there are thousands that
don't work , aren't needed, or can't be sustained
forever at the current level of funding.  My favorite
is crop subsidies.  When I critique social welfare
programs I'm not speaking of just those aimed at the
poor.  I hate corporate welfare as well (my employer
included).

Its interesting that some on the list choose a label
for themselves.  That's fine, I choose not to.  Most
would label me a conservative.  On fiscal issues I am,
on other's (school prayer, abortion, to name a few) I
am most definitely not.  I vote mostly for the same
party but don't always.  I love these debates because
it forces me to examine my own beliefs and either
continue to support them or change.  This is a healthy
process for everyone that chooses to engage.  In case
everyone forgot how this got started it was over how a
tax cut would be distributed.  Nothing said these past
weeks have changed my opinion; those who paid in more
taxes should get more returned.

By the way,  I think the Big Dig is a wonderful thing
for Boston I just regret having to pay for it from
Memphis.

Brad

http://www.cdfa.net/cdfa/cdfanews.nsf/1.%20All%20Documents/63982F250534D5F38

http://www.orrick.com/about/prtcarea/areas/PubFin_Trans.htm