[Rhodes22-list] Change of subject matter. From taxes to war.

Richard and Sherry Day dayz@lisco.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:52:36 -0600

Partial Politics delete at will.
  Good points Brad.  It's anybody's guess as to why we are steaming towards
war.  Bush has done a lousy job of p.r. and needs to do a better job on this
before I sign off on it.  Especially since I have two young boys in their
20's that could be sucked in by a resurrection of the draft.  This to me is
where Rummy's question of "where's the beef, Mr. Bush" is very important.
  Talking of Rummy, Sheiks, oil barons, and monopolies....I think Pres. Bush
should do everything within his power, even send a few troops, to Rummy's
house to free up the Mt. Gay that he is hoarding.  We have been indulging
ourselves tasting the various rums but neither a one of our three little
stores have Mt. Gay.  I think this is blatantly unfair.  R.Day

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org]On Behalf Of brad haslett
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 8:22 AM
To: dayz@lisco.com; The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] Change of subject matter. From taxes to
war.

Richard,

Just about everyone I've spoken with would like to see
more evidence.  I work with a lot of National Guard,
Navy and Air Force Reserve pilots, some of whom have
already been called up, and they are sceptics as well.
 Several of them have suggested that Bush is "spoon
feeding" the information we have to protect our
sources.  Let's pray they are correct. If a war starts
and it turns out to be nothing but a fight for oil or
vengence I'll be the first to write Sen. Frist and ask
for a vote of impeachment.

You are 100% correct about the need for alternative
energy.  This discussion has continued since 1973 and
no President yet has made it a priority.  I'm no oil
expert but I did a couple of research papers in grad
school on the oil industry.  The Middle East suppliers
definitely control the price through sheer volume.
If we stay on an oil diet and find vast new reserves
at home the Mid Easterners could severely damage the
project economically by dropping the price of oil.
The same applies to any alternative fuel project.
That doesn't mean it can't be done or shouldn't be
done, it just means the battle will take place on two
fronts; technology and economics.

Honda has a hydrogen fuel cell auto in production and
has sold several to the city of Los Angeles.  For that
technology to work on a wide scale we will need a huge
investment of capital in the transportation and
distribution system for the fuel.  A few oil companies
are in the development phase but none have the
resources to take on the project alone.  Now there's a
tax I would vote for!

Brad Haslett