[Rhodes22-list] Taxes & Politics

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:21:20 -0500

Wally,

I have a big problem with the lottery in that states see it as an
automatic problem solver for money shortfalls. They don't seem to want
to cut any spending or tighten the belt during tough times. They always
sell the program as "for the children" by saying that the education will
benefit and sell it to the people in that manner. It's a flat out lie.

In Ohio, they said if they could have the lottery, there would be no
further school funding problems. They said the money would go to
schools. If anyone checks, they will find that the money goes to the
General Fund, that money pit that the legislature dips into to spend for
anything. The schools get the same amount of money as does the lottery
agent. I think the last time I saw the information, it was .065% of the
lottery ticket sale. For every dollar they got 6 1/2 cents. That is not
what we had in mind when the lottery was approved.

I would approve of a lottery here in NC if, and ONLY if, the law said
that the lottery money would be used to pay the lottery expenses and
then be applied to the education department and highway department.
There should be a provision that if the Governor or anyone else trys to
raid that fund that they be taken out and shot. Or hung. By the -als.
Not that I'm emotional about this, but it is a recurring theme in NC.
The governor has made things difficult by increasing his pet programs in
times of financial crisis and taken money from "protected trust funds".
So it needs to be written in law that he cannot touch the money, and
that money has to be used for it's intended prupose.

Alex