[Rhodes22-list] Taxes & Politics

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:01:57 -0500

If you wiped all of these out
>and raised the flat tax rate so it covered all the expenses of
>government, you might be right about a simple flat tax - have to think
>about that - but you have to think about how phony a flat tax would be
>if you just get around it by then continuing, and adding to, all the
>other taxes that currently make a flat tax idea a joke.
>
>stan

Stan,

That is what I have been saying. I am not in favor of the current tax plan.
I am in favor of a MAJOR tax overhaul. As you pointed out with the
tollbooths, it is too inefficient to collect and account for most of the
various taxes. As every little tax creeps in, the cost to collect these
taxes increases as well.

Regarding the lottery, Brad you know it is coming to TN but I have to admit
I voted against the bill that would allow the law change. It seems silly to
me that the Government is involved in games of chance. I am not against
gambling; I just don’t think the Government should be serving as a bookie. I
think people should be able to bet on whatever they want to bet on. I don’t
gamble except when I drive the local roads or fly Delta. Now if a private
individual or corporation wanted to have a lottery I say go right ahead. I
hope it solves TN’s woes but I have my doubts.

The sad part is we will probably never see major tax overhaul; too many
special interest groups will fight to protect their exceptions.

Hey, it is still a great country to live in!

Wally