[Rhodes22-list] WAR

Ben Schultz BenS@ApproSystems.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:20:29 -0600

I think that's the crux of the problem:  why exactly are we attacking?  I
know that there are suspicions of a nuclear program, but if we've got the
goods on Saddam, why can't the inspectors find anything?

I have two close friends overseas in active duty.  They both volunteered to
go, and I would never expect either of them complain about being there.  But
the fact is, thatsome of our men and women will most likely be coming home
in coffins.  It better be worth it.

I think that our citizens and other governments would be more supportive if
we would strategically leak at least a little bit of the dirt that we have
on Iraq.

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Alm [mailto:salm@mn.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 12:34
To: Rhodes
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] WAR

This looks to me to be a no-win situation.  We're damned if we do and damned
if we don't.  If we go after the oil, it'll look like greedy, 19th
century-style resource-grabbing.  If we're just trying to stabilize the
region, i.e., going after the menacing anti-American regime, it'll look like
colonization/culturalization--one of the main reasons the Arab world hates
us in the first place.  Doing nothing at all doesn't really seem very
acceptable either.  If our battle cry is going to be to avenge 9/11, and we
go in there without much proof of WMD, it'll just look like an old fashioned
lynching.  We're not really fighting for OUR oil--we get most of ours
elsewhere.  But we are fighting on behalf of oil for our European allies.
But they don't seem to support us so I guess Bush'll just do whatever he
thinks is best for them.

America is the big dog on the block and that makes us everybody's problem
AND solution.  The big dog has the biggest bark and bite, but also leaves
the biggest, stinky messes to clean up.

Like it or not, and I don't, it looks like we're going to invade.  I can't
think of any circumstances under which Bush would say, "Oh, OK.  Never
mind."  The Iraqi army will fall like a house of cards, but no doubt Saddam
has some dirty tricks up his sleeve.  There's speculation now that he might
torch his own oil wells.

Slim

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.