[Rhodes22-list] WAR

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:22:24 -0500

Guys,

Iraq has a simple mass balance accounting problem.  Apparently, we have
evidence that in the early 90's, Iraq had something like 20,000 - 30,000
chemical/biological warheads.  Some of these were designed to fit on top of
SKUD missiles, some into artillery shells, & some into aircraft-dropped
gravity bombs.  It turns out that the 11,000 page declaration that Iraq
filed in response to the UN's call for an accounting of its weapons of mass
destruction did not mention any of these warheads.  Nor did it give any
accounting of how, when, or where these weapons were destroyed, dismantled,
etc.  Iraq claims these records were "lost". "I destroyed several thousand
tons of the most toxic stuff on earth without any written procedures, or
written records, & there is no trace of the facility that I used."   "The
dog ate my homework, honest!"  So, the question boils down to, Ten years
ago, Iraq had many thousands of chemical/biological warheads.  Now Iraq
claims to have none.  Show us the records & the facilities where they were
destroyed.  Otherwise, the conclusion must be that Iraq still has these
weapons & is hiding them.  No one disputes that Iraq had these weapons ten
years ago.  In the meantime, Saddam has had ten years to hide these weapons
in an area the size of the State of California.  Last week, acting on a US
intelligence tip, the UN Weapons Inspectors found 11 empty chemical
warheads.  At this rate, the disarming process will require several hundred
years!

Having said that, it's not clear to me that having our troops siting on
Iraq's border, with the Northern & Southern No-Fly Zones, huge teams of
inspectors combing the cities & countryside, & round the clock satellite
surveillence isn't preferable to an invasion.  The whole process is a very
public spectacle in Iraq & it's got to be a huge loss of face & pride for
Sadam.  Perhaps, if the inspection process is allowed to continue; then,
some of his officers will crack under the pressure & defect or assasinate
Sadam.

If we invade now, we must assume that Sadam has these weapons hidden
somewhere.  With his back up against the wall, Sadam will attempt to use
them.  He will have nothing to lose.  This is not a huge problem for our
troops because they are trained & equipped to handle this kind of warfare.
The nightmare scenario is that Sadam will contaminate huge areas of the
Middle East & East Africa with incredibly toxic & long lived biological &
chemical materials.  How do you protect the populations in these areas?  How
do you prevent the wind & ocean currents from spreading these materials all
over the Indian Ocean & eventually, all over the world?

I am less worried that Iraq currently has nuclear weapons because the UN
Weapons Inspectors did a much better job of finding & destroying Iraq's
Nuclear Program sites back in the early 1990's.  In addition, these nuclear
weapons sites tend to be pretty large & much more difficult to hide than
chemical/biological weapons sites.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium