[Rhodes22-list] Anchor rode fairleads

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 00:45:33 EDT 2003

Actually, wrapping a smaller line around a larger line to prevent chafing is
called "serving".  Whipping is using sail twine to keep the end of a line
from fraying.  Usually serving is the last step in the sequence of "Worming,
Parcelling and Serving" which consists of laying a thin twine in the grooves
of the three strand line, covering the line with a wrapping of tape of some
kind (usually dacron) and finally  wrapping with the serving twine.  This
process makes a very stiff, chafe resistant structure.

Dave Walker