[Rhodes22-list] Caution! Computer On Board

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Thu Jul 10 23:26:28 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Effros" <bill at effros.com>
To: ""R-22"" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:16 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Caution! Computer On Board

I'm planning to bring a computer on board for the first time this summer.

I have a laptop with an Aircard750 and unlimited internet service from T-Mobile.
I assume this is CDPD, their is good coverage on the sound from I-95, if the coverage is "spotty" get the car antenna for the sierra
card.

I assume it must be possible to run charting programs and an autopilot off the laptop.  Has anyone done this?
if you laptop has comm port it should be able to NEA 4800 baud stuff with the right cable, sea talk might be harder

I assume wireless instruments that send readings to the laptop should be available.  Are they?
never seen it, I can think of a few solutions but they are not "off the self"

What is the best way to power a laptop if you have plenty of 12V DC power available?
more laptops recharge on 12volt or less, get the car adaptor

Does anyone use the XP synchronization function?
Not me.

Bill Effros