[Rhodes22-list] How long does a fiberglass hull last?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Jul 13 19:28:35 EDT 2003

Ed,

The answer is a definite maybe!  It all depends upon what sort of life this
boat has led.  You would need to know the answer to questions like:

Where was the boat?  Up North?  Down South?  Tropics?  Exposed to big city
or industrial pollution?  Parked under a sappy tree?
What fraction of the time was the boat in the water?
Fresh Water or Salt Water?
Was water ever allowed to collect in the bilge or cockpit & sit there for
long periods of time?
Is there any evidence of ice damage or freeze/thaw damage?
Has the boat ever experienced osmotic blistering?  If so, how was it
repaired?  How long ago?
Is there any collision damage?  If so, how was it repaired?  How long ago?
Is there any evidence of delamination &/or water infiltration in the deck,
the hull/deck joint, or at thru-bolted hardware & fittings?
Is there any evidence of damage at high stress areas like chain plates,
rudder gudgeons, motor mounts, etc?
Is there any evidence of water damage to the interior?  Mold?  Mildew?
Dryrot?
What shape is the gelcoat in?

The properties & limitations of GFRP (Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer or
fiberglass) construction weren't very well understood in 1966.  Because of
this, the designers tended to overengineer & the buiilders tended to
overbuild.  Boats from this era tend to be solid GFRP instead of cored with
balsa or foam.  The hull & deck thickness tends to be thicker & heavier than
necessary.  All of this is good news from a long life standpoint.  However,
37 years is a long time & the chances are that you won't be able to document
what service the boat was used for or level of TLC &/or abuse & neglect the
boat experienced during all that time.

The boat would need to be surveyed by a competent person.  This survey
should include a nondestructive measurement of the water content of the hull
& deck in several locations.  At the very least, you can expect the exterior
gelcoat would need a coat of paint & the standing rigging would all need to
be replaced.  If the sails are original, then they're surely junk by now.
If the electrical system is original, then you will find it undersized &
primitive by today's standards.  Any instruments would be candidates for the
Smithsonian or Henry Ford Museum.  You could be taking on a really lengthy
restoration project.

But, nobody really knows the ultimate life of GFRP construction.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium