[Rhodes22-list] How long does a fiberglass hull last?

Kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Sun Jul 13 18:47:18 EDT 2003

This question might have been answered by Brad (may he sail in peace),
or Rik (is he still here) or by our technical gurus.  I sure would be
interested in Roger's reply.

The real question is would/could a no longer used 1966 fiberglass hull
from company that went belly up in 1982 still be a usable hull?

I have not pursued all the details because first, I have a good boat and
I am not looking for a project, but I have seen the boat, from 15 feet
it looks to be reasonable and the price is almost right.

This is a 25 foot full keel boat designed for blue water - Coronado 25.
http://www.concentric.net/~Cs-cb/Sailing/coron25.shtml
It sits on its trailer (triaxle) and is supposed to have all the sails.
No motor, it has a well for an outboard.  Mast is tied on top.  The
bottom appears good.

I suspect that it sits there because it is a 1966.  Could a 1966
fiberglass hull still be seaworthy?  I have seen where a sister boat of
the same type but 1968 is for sail on the internet, no trailer and more
money and in the water.