[Rhodes22-list] Stupid people tricks

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Jul 16 14:40:06 EDT 2003

Rummy,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with your analysis re the fouling 2-cycle
spark plugs.  I did not allow the engine to overheat; but, in the heat of
the moment, I also wasn't able to prevent the fuel starvation problem &
resultant engine stalling.  Later, when I removed the spark plugs, they were
severely oil fouled.  Replacing the fouled plugs with a fresh set resulting
in the engine immediately starting & running smoothly.  A 4-cycle engine
under the same circumstances would have simply stalled out, but would have
repeatedly restarted as soon as the fuel level in the carb's float bowl was
reestablished.  Yes, of course one must be careful to not let any outboard
engine overheat during a cavitation situation.  However, 4-cycle engines are
intrinsically more resistant to overheating in such a transient situation
because of the heat capacity represented by the oil they carry in their oil
reservoirs.  In effect, any 4-cycle engine is also partially "oil-cooled", a
property which 2-cycle engines do not have.

I have two 4-cycle Honda outboard engines.  Recall that one of them is a 9.9
hp standard shaft length model installed on our 10 ft. inflatable sport
dingy.  Do you recall the story I posted a couple of years ago wherein my
younger son, Gary, accidently fell overboard while he was fooling around
with the boat by himself?  The dingy sped away from him at full throttle,
ran thru a marshy area, up a hill, & wedged itself between two trees at the
top of the hill.  It took several minutes for Gary to swim, wade, climb to
reach the boat.  All the while, the outboard was running at full throttle
with no water cooling what so ever!  The only damage to the engine was to
the rubber water pump impeller & water pump housing, which literally got so
hot, it melted!  The engine oil was black as coal tar.  But, after a good
flushing & replacing the water pump, the engine runs as good as new.  The
cylinder compression is still within normal tolerances, the engine doesn't
use or leak any oil, doesn't smoke, & top speed is about the same as before.
I submit to you that this test was several orders of magnitude more severe
than would be experienced on the stern of our R-22's in a prop cavitation
situation & yet the 4-cycle engine did not sieze.  The only reason this
result is possible is because of the additional cooling and superior
lubrication provided by the on-board oil reservoir in the 4-cycle engine.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium