[Rhodes22-list] Stupid people tricks

Christine Allison sailnut at asan.com
Wed Jul 16 14:21:39 EDT 2003

> Roger's statement that the 2 stroke plugs fouled out because the motor was
> cavitating and purchasing a four stroke solved that problem is bunk. The
> only reason the four stroke doesn't foul is because of the longer shaft.
It
> stays in the water allowing the engine to cool properly.> t

It's possible that Roger was idling the motor to keep it from over-reving
when the prop came out of the water.  I have found such a procedure very
helpful and often it is necessary (throttling down)  to get the prop to bite
after it cavitates.  Under the conditions Roger describes I would expect he
had to run the engine for extended periods at low RPM's.

As you know a 2 stroke engine has it's oil mixed with the fuel.  That
combined with the simplistic intake system guarantees the plug(s) will foul
much more rapidly then those of a 4 stroke.

Richard Smith